Thursday, September 29, 2011

My domestication requires lowered expectations!

On my (what I suppose will be lifelong) quest for total domestication, I am suddenly enjoying cooking.  Hmmm.  Strange.  Baking, new recipes, and the like.  Hamburger Helper should be jealous right about now!
Do not misunderstand me!  I am not referring to the kind of baking that requires a rolling pin (No clue where mine is. I only have one because it was my grandmothers and I keep it for nostalgic reasons.), flour all over the kitchen, or even baking powder.  I am in to what I like to call: CHEATING COOKING!  What is that?  Glad you asked!  Well, this morning I cooked some adorable little breakfast puffs that in some parts of the world might have a name in another language and a nice shiny egg white or butter coating.  Not here.  Here, I simply bought some crescent rolls (the always save, on sale, cheapest ones they had!) and I fried up a little bit of Blue and Gold sausage and added some eggs.  I chopped up some green onion and some mushrooms.  (Not fresh mushrooms.  Just some I had in the fridge in a jar!)  Put it in a bowl, mixed in some shredded cheese (bought it that way.  My cheese grater is rather a lonely little thing!) and a little sour cream and just wrapped the concoction up in the crescent rolls and baked them!  Voila!  Also, I have some potato soup in the crock pot.  (And, I did not chop up ONE SINGLE potato!  I hate peeling and cutting potatoes with a passion!)  Here's the "cheating" recipe for that:  Easy crockpot potato soup recipe It required opening things and dumping them in the crock pot, but this evening, I will be queen of the kitchen as my family raves about what a wonderful meal it is!  (Families rave about lots of easy meals when they are used to Hamburger Helper!) 
In an ideal world, I would honestly love to be one of those wives/moms who cooks organic, from scratch meals, leaves out all gluten and processed foods, grows and cans all our own vegetables, and has no clue what the price of a "Wal-Mart birthday cake" is!  And, my hat is off to those ladies, in all sincerity!! But, alas, I have 3 children (2 of which are in sports), a husband, 2 dogs, 6 bonus children here for about 10 hours a day, and semi-poor time management skills.  So.  I need to cheat!  I need meals that take 5 minutes to throw in a crock pot and taste like I slaved over them for hours!  And, I'm kind of excited about my new found interest!  I'm on the prowl for super easy recipes!!  And, I have decided to share with you all, all of my best findings!
I made extra of my little breakfast puffs so we can eat them on the way to games Saturday, instead of spending $20 or $30 on breakfast from a convenience store!  Thinking ahead! Aren't you proud of me? ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment